Saturday 19 November 2011

Jelly Fish Inspiration and Research

Jelly Fish Light
Product Design

This is my interoperation of a natural form lighting brief of a jelly fish. 


My jelly fish above is constructed with clear plastic which was asked for by the brief and also I have used fish hooks to constructed the two pieces together. This allows the design to be bought together in a way which makes the materials meaningful. I was either going to use these or a fishing rope. Now after completing my project I have a lot more ideas which I would like to pursue with this. Like making all the tentacles warped and stretched so that they look  like they are in water. I would have also liked to but some stronger light in these and make the tentacles light up more then they have.

When I was producing this I was looking at some work by other people.

Markus Johansson 

His work is similar to the work done by me in terms of his theme. When I talked about warping the design he was my inspiration for this as I wanted to make the legs twist more and appear to be out of place.

Octopus Inspired
(interesting-cirrata-lamp-by-markus-johansson, Nicedecors.com. Markus Johansson)

Once I had seen this design I instantly though it was a artist which I would like to contined looking at. Although this piece above is a table or floor lamp my design was hopping to head in this direction. The way that the legs are all touching the ground are something that really works for his piece as it seems to ground the work and doesn't appear to be floating. The piece of mine is not quite grounded as I wanted it to be floating to the eye.

Towry Russel 


This artist is another one who works of the same idea of the jelly fishes freeness. The work by this artist is quite amazing as the way certain pieces are designed. The idea behind his work is it takes on the mythological character Medusae. The work bellow relates to my design for a lot of reasons which can be seen. 

Medusae 
(medusae-beautiful-pendant-lamps-inspired-by-jellyfish. Nicedecor.com. Towry Russell)


As you can see there are a lot of simulates to the jelly fish especially in the center image. The one I find the best is the last image as to me it is more of a design you could see in houses. the over all balance and esthetics is a lot stronger then the other two. What I really should have considered in my own design is the layering of tentacles like you can see in the centre image as this would have given my design more detail about it.  What I am liking about these is that the work is in a white plastic which I think might have been another fact that could have worked with my own project. 


Led Jelly Fish Lamps 
Artist Unknown

(floating-led-jellyfish. Cubeme.com)

This piece by a unknown artist was a piece that I came across late into my project of making my light. When I started my own project of adapting a light to a natural form I though about the way that jelly fish relate to the ocean and seem to be drifting within the water. I liked this idea and wanted to make a interesting lighting feature out of it. The Piece above is a nice idea of a jelly fish light which is using the colors of the fish themselves. The down side to theses are that they look very plastic would look nice with the tentacles floating and swaying. 










No comments:

Post a Comment